Architecting with Google Kubernetes Engine
Duration : 3 Days (24 Hours)
Architecting with Google Kubernetes Engine Course Overview:
In the Architecting with Google Kubernetes Engine course, participants will gain the knowledge and skills to deploy and manage containerized applications on Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) and other tools available on Google Cloud. Through a combination of lectures, demos, and hands-on labs, participants will explore and deploy various solution elements, including infrastructure components such as pods, containers, deployments, services, networks, and application services.
The course focuses on practical application, allowing participants to deploy real-world solutions. Key topics covered include security and access management, resource management, and resource monitoring. Participants will learn how to effectively implement security measures, manage resources efficiently, and monitor the performance of their applications and infrastructure.
With hands-on labs and practical exercises, participants will gain practical experience in deploying and managing containerized applications on Google Kubernetes Engine. The course provides a comprehensive understanding of architecting solutions using Kubernetes, combined with the necessary skills to deploy practical solutions in a secure and efficient manner.
This class is specifically designed for the following participants: Administrators, cloud architects, and SysOps/DevOps personnel. It is intended for individuals who are either using Google Cloud Platform to develop new solutions or seeking to integrate existing systems, application environments, and infrastructure with the Google Cloud Platform.
The course caters to administrators and architects who need to understand how to effectively utilize Google Cloud Platform in their organizations. It also targets SysOps/DevOps personnel who play a crucial role in managing and optimizing cloud infrastructure and operations.
Whether participants are creating new solutions or integrating existing systems, this class equips them with the knowledge and skills necessary to leverage the capabilities of Google Cloud Platform effectively. By the end of the course, participants will have a deeper understanding of the platform’s features and will be able to apply that knowledge to their respective roles and responsibilities.
- Understand the architecture of Kubernetes
- Understand how software containers work
- Understand the architecture of Google Cloud Platform
- Understand how pod networking works in Kubernetes Engine Create and manage Kubernetes Engine clusters using the GCP Console and gcloud/ kubectl commands Launch, roll back and expose jobs in Kubernetes
- Managing pod security policies and network policies
- Manage access control using Kubernetes RBAC and Google Cloud IAM
- Understand GCP choices for managed storage services
- Using Secrets and ConfigMaps to isolate security credentials and configuration artifacts
- Monitor applications running in Kubernetes Engine
Module 1: Introduction to Google Cloud Platform
- Use the Google Cloud Platform Console
- Use Cloud Shell
- Define cloud computing
- Identify GCPs compute services
- Understand regions and zones
- Understand the cloud resource hierarchy
- Administer your GCP resources
Module 2: Containers and Kubernetes in GCP
- Create a container using Cloud Build
- Store a container in Container Registry
- Understand the relationship between Kubernetes and Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE)
- Understand how to choose among GCP compute platforms
Module 3: Kubernetes Architecture
- Understand the architecture of Kubernetes: pods, namespaces
- Understand the control-plane components of Kubernetes
- Create container images using Google Cloud Build
- Store container images in Google Container Registry
- Create a Kubernetes Engine cluster
Module 4: Kubernetes Operations
- Work with the kubectl command
- Inspect the cluster and Pods
- View a Pods console output
- Sign in to a Pod interactively
Module 5: Deployments, Jobs, and Scaling
- Create and use Deployments
- Create and run Jobs and CronJobs
- Scale clusters manually and automatically
- Configure Node and Pod affinity
- Get software into your cluster with Helm charts and Kubernetes Marketplace
Module 6: GKE Networking
- Create Services to expose applications that are running within Pods
- Use load balancers to expose Services to external clients
- Create Ingress resources for HTTP(S) load balancing
- Leverage container-native load balancing to improve Pod load balancing
- Define Kubernetes network policies to allow and block traffic to pods
Module 7: Persistent Data and Storage
- Use Secrets to isolate security credentials
- Use ConfigMaps to isolate configuration artifacts
- Push out and roll back updates to Secrets and ConfigMaps
- Configure Persistent Storage Volumes for Kubernetes Pods
- Use StatefulSets to ensure that claims on persistent storage volumes persist across restarts
Module 8: Access Control and Security in Kubernetes and Kubernetes Engine
- Understand Kubernetes authentication and authorization
- Define Kubernetes RBAC roles and role bindings for accessing resources in namespaces
- Define Kubernetes RBAC cluster roles and cluster role bindings for accessing cluster-scoped resources
- Define Kubernetes pod security policies
- Understand the structure of GCP IAM
- Define IAM roles and policies for Kubernetes Engine cluster administration
Module 9: Logging and Monitoring
- Use Stackdriver to monitor and manage availability and performance
- Locate and inspect Kubernetes logs
- Create probes for wellness checks on live applications
Module 10: Using GCP Managed Storage Services from Kubernetes Applications
- Understand pros and cons for using a managed storage service versus self-managed containerized storage
- Enable applications running in GKE to access GCP storage services
- Understand use cases for Cloud Storage, Cloud SQL, Cloud Spanner, Cloud Bigtable, Cloud Firestore, and Bigquery from within a Kubernetes application
To get the most out of this Architecting with Google Kubernetes Engine course, participants should have:
- Completed Google Cloud Platform Fundamentals: Core Infrastructure or equivalent skill
- Basic proficiency with command-line tools and Linux operating system environments
Q: What is the “Architecting with Google Kubernetes Engine” course?
A: “Architecting with Google Kubernetes Engine” is a training course that focuses on teaching participants how to design, build, and deploy applications using Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE). GKE is a managed environment for running containerized applications on Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and this course provides in-depth knowledge on architecting solutions with GKE.
Q: Who is this course suitable for?
A: This course is suitable for architects, system administrators, DevOps engineers, and IT professionals who want to learn how to effectively use Google Kubernetes Engine for deploying and managing applications. It is designed for individuals who have a basic understanding of Kubernetes concepts and want to gain expertise in architecting solutions using GKE.
Q: What topics are covered in this course?
A: The “Architecting with Google Kubernetes Engine” course covers a range of topics, including understanding Kubernetes and GKE, designing highly available and secure GKE clusters, managing and scaling applications, implementing networking and load balancing, configuring storage options, using GKE for hybrid and multi-cloud scenarios, and monitoring and troubleshooting GKE deployments.
Q: Are there any prerequisites for this course?
A: Participants should have a fundamental understanding of Kubernetes concepts, containerization technologies, and basic familiarity with cloud computing principles. Prior experience with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is beneficial but not mandatory.
Q: What are the key skills and knowledge gained from this course?
A: Upon completion of this course, participants will gain the skills and knowledge to architect solutions using Google Kubernetes Engine. They will be able to design highly available and secure GKE clusters, manage and scale applications effectively, implement networking and load balancing configurations, utilize storage options, integrate GKE with hybrid and multi-cloud environments, and perform monitoring and troubleshooting of GKE deployments.
Q: Is there any certification associated with this course?
A: Yes, this course is part of the certification path for the “Google Cloud Certified – Professional Cloud Architect” certification. By completing this course and passing the associated exam, individuals can demonstrate their expertise in architecting solutions on Google Cloud Platform, including Google Kubernetes Engine.
Discover the perfect fit for your learning journey
Choose Learning Modality
This course comes with following benefits:
- Practice Labs.
- Get Trained by Certified Trainers.
- Access to the recordings of your class sessions for 90 days.
- Digital courseware
- Experience 24*7 learner support.
Got more questions? We’re all ears and ready to assist!