Oracle Database 11g: Backup and Recovery Workshop
Duration : 3 Days (24 Hours)
Oracle Database 11g: Backup and Recovery Workshop Course Overview:
The Oracle Database 11g: Backup and Recovery Workshop equips students with the knowledge to perform basic backup and recovery operations for an Oracle Database. Topics covered include configuring the Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) utility, using various backup types, implementing Flashback Technology, and performing online database backups. Participants learn about capacity-based backup and recovery, point-in-time recovery, and complete database recovery. The workshop also covers working with RMAN reporting and troubleshooting. This course is designed for Database Administrators, System Administrators, Technical Consultants, Support Engineers, and Implementors who need a fundamental understanding of Oracle Database backup and recovery processes.
- Oracle Database Administrators: Individuals responsible for managing and maintaining Oracle databases, including backup and recovery operations.
- Support Engineers: Professionals providing technical support and troubleshooting assistance for Oracle Database implementations.
- Technical Consultants: Individuals offering expertise and guidance on database backup and recovery solutions.
Learning Objectives of Oracle Database 11g: Backup and Recovery Workshop:
1. Learn best practices for successfully managing Oracle Backup & Recovery operations.
2. Understand the difference between physical and logical backups, and use the logical backup options available in Oracle Database 11g.
3. Utilize Oracle Enterprise Manager to monitor and control backups and perform recovery operations.
4. Configure RMAN to use media management software to control tape-based backups.
5. Learn techniques for recovering from user and system errors, lost passwords, and media failures.
6. Create strategies for using Recycle Bin and Flashback features in Oracle 11g to minimize the need for restore operations.
7. Implement a sound backup and recovery strategy for your environment.
8. Gain a working knowledge of Oracle Database 11g’s features that reduce the complexity of Backup & Recovery solutions.
Module 1: Introduction
- Assessing Your Recovery Requirements
- Data Failures Examples
- Failure Categories
- Oracle Data Protection Solutions
- Oracle Backup and Recovery Solutions
- Oracle Maximum Availability Architecture
- Oracle Secure Backup (overview only)
- Oracle Active Data Guard (overview only)
Module 2: Using Recovery Manager (RMAN) and Enterprise Manager
- Oracle Recovery Manager (architecture overview)
- Enterprise Manager (backup and recovery interface overview)
- Using the RMAN Command-Line
- RMAN Commands (overview)
- Configuring RMAN Persistent Settings
- Viewing and Managing RMAN Persistent Settings
Module 3: Configuring for Recoverability
- Fast Recovery Area (overview)
- Fast Recovery Area Sizing and Configuration
- Control File Multiplexing & Autobackup
- Redo Log Files and the LGWR Process
- Redo Log File Multiplexing
- ARCHIVELOG Mode and the Archiver Process
- Archived Redo Log Files
- Undo Retention
Module 4: Using the RMAN Recovery Catalog
- Repository Comparison
- Recovery Catalog Overview
- Creating the Recovery Catalog
- Managing Records in the Catalog
- Registering the Database
- Catalog Resynchronization
- Backing Up the Recovery Catalog
Module 5: Backup Concepts and Strategies
- Backup Solutions Overview
- Backup Terminology
- RMAN Backup Types
- Understanding RMAN Backup Data Flow
- Balancing Backup and Restore Requirements
- Comparing Backup Strategies
- Best Practices for Data Warehouse Backups
Module 6: Creating Backups
- Oracle Suggested Backup Strategy
- Backups Sets & Image Copies (RMAN)
- Whole Database Backups
- Read-Only Tablespace Backups
- Checking for Block Corruption
- Block Change Tracking/Fast Incremental Backups
- Backup Compression & RMAN Encrypted Backups
- Control File Backups & Cataloging Backups Files
Module 7: Restore and Recovery Concepts
- Employing the Best Oracle Technology for Recovery
- Instance Failure and Instance/Crash Recovery
- Media Failure
- Complete Recovery (Overview)
- Point-in-Time Recovery (Overview)
- Recovery Through RESETLOGS
- Recovery to an Abandoned Incarnation
Module 8: Using Data Recovery Advisor
- Data Recovery Advisor Overview
- Using the Data Recovery Advisor (overview)
- Using the Data Recovery Advisor in Enterprise Manager
- Using the Data Recovery Advisor RMAN Command-Line Interface
Module 9: Performing Recovery
- Data File Loss (file system and ASM)
- RMAN Recovery: NOARCHIVELOG Mode, Complete, Image Files & Point-in-Time (Incomplete recovery)
- Control File Loss and Recovery & RMAN Recovery: Backup Control File
- Redo Log File Loss and Recovery, Index Tablespace Recovery & Read-Only Tablespace Recovery
- Password Authentication File Re-creation, Server Parameter File Recovery & Tempfile Recovery
- Restoring RMAN Encrypted Backups
- Block Media Recovery
- Restore and Recovery Performance Best Practices
Module 10: Using Flashback Technologies
- Flashback Technologies Overview
- Preparing to use Flashback Technologies
- Flashback Query & Flashback Version Query
- Flashback Table
- Flshback Transaction Query
- Flashback Transaction
- Flashback Drop
- Best Practices for Undo-Based Flashback Technologies
Module 11: Flashback Database
- Flashback Database Architecture
- Configuring Flashback Database
- Performing Flashback Database
- Best Practices for Flashback Database
Module 12: RMAN Performance and Tuning
- Tuning Principles
- RMAN Multiplexing
- Diagnosing Performance Bottlenecks
- Restore and Recovery Performance Best Practices
Module 13: Backup and Recovery Workshop Scenarios
- Workshop Structure
- Workshop Approach to Solving Failure Scenarios
- Business Requirements for Database Availability and Procedures
Oracle Database 11g: Backup and Recovery Workshop Course Prerequisites:
1. Database Administration Experience with Oracle Database
2. Exposure to Oracle Database 9i and/or Oracle Database 10g
3. Knowledge of OS on which Oracle Database will be run
4. Familiarity with data backup and recovery techniques
5. Basic understanding of Data Recovery Advisor and Recovery Manager
6. Basic knowledge of backup and recovery scenarios and solutions
7. Understanding of various recovery methods and scenarios
Discover the perfect fit for your learning journey
Choose Learning Modality
This course comes with following benefits:
- Practice Labs.
- Get Trained by Certified Trainers.
- Access to the recordings of your class sessions for 90 days.
- Digital courseware
- Experience 24*7 learner support.
Got more questions? We’re all ears and ready to assist!